Following the Board of Trustees notice of 21 April informing the school community of our intention to select two replacement Board members, 15 individual requests were received to hold an election. This is 3.8% of the number of parents/caregivers eligible to be on the school election roll, so does not meet the 10% threshold required for the Board to hold an election.
Therefore, the Board will proceed with the selection of two members from within the school community to fill the current vacancies.
The Board decided that selection was the best option because:
· The positions will be only for a maximum of 12 months, given that there will be full Board elections before mid-2016;
· We are seeking specific skill sets in accounting/finance and IT and;
· We would particularly like to encourage parents of younger students to consider being a Board Trustee, and this presents an opportunity to “try out” Board membership for a year.
· In addition, the Board would like to broaden the representation from some of the different cultures in the school.
Other general criteria for all Board members include:
· That the Board has a governance focus. It does not get involved in the management of the school.
· That Board members understand that they are on the Board on behalf of all the students and parents of the school. Personal agendas are not appropriate. Please see the attached Code of Conduct for Board for Trustee members.
· Board members should be focussed on working as team members in a consensus environment.
The process the Board will follow is:
· Call for expressions of interest via this notice from parents who would like to be considered for selection, which close at 4.30pm on Friday 5 June.
· Assessment of the expressions of interest against the selection criteria.
· Decide on a list of preferred candidates and allocate into an order of preference.
· Offer the two vacant places to the preferred candidates, working down the preference list until the vacancies are filled.
If you wish to express an interest in being selected for the Board of Trustees you should complete an “Eligibility Attestation Form”, which is a legal requirement, and return it with an up to 250 word statement saying how you meet the criteria listed above. The Eligibility form is available from the school office, and can be sent to you as a hard copy or as an attachment by email. If submitting by email, a scanned copy of the signed Eligibility form will be acceptable.
The forms can be returned by email to email@example.com , or as a hard copy to the school office marked Attn: Mark Ross, Chair, Board of Trustees prior to the closing date of 4.30pm, Friday 5 June. The Board will make its selection at the meeting of Monday 15 June, with the selected members attending the first Board meeting of the school third term.
If you have any questions on this process please contact me on 027 442 9965 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Chair, Board of Trustees
Trustees’ Code of Behaviour Policy
The board is committed to ethical conduct in all areas of its responsibilities and authority. Trustees shall:
Maintain and understand the values and goals of the school
Island Bay Bakery lunches every Tuesday and Friday.
- Orders need to be placed with the office by 9.00 a.m. (Island Bay Bakery order form)
Subway Lunches every Wednesday
- Orders need to be placed with the office by 3.00 p.m. Tuesday.
Wrap it Up – Sushi every Thursday
- Orders need to be placed via www.wrapitup.co.nzby 9.00 a.m. on Thursday.
Hello, Kia ora, Talofa lava, Namaste, Ciao, Kia orana, Bonjour, Bula, Dziendobry, Ni hao, Shalom, Dia duit.
From its first day in April 1905, St Francis de Sales School has maintained a proud tradition of:
The Catholic Special Character of our school is based on the Gospel teachings of Jesus Christ and is strengthened by a specifically taught Values Programme. Our school is an integral part of the St Francis de Sales Parish and enjoys contributing to activities of the wider Island Bay community. We provide a caring and safe environment where the students report that they feel safe.
With classes from Year One to Eight, our students receive continuous education from enrolment through to the end of their Primary schooling, when they progress to college. Most students enrol at either St Mary's College, St Catherine's College or St Patrick's College.
We have designed our website to provide you with an overview of life at our school. We look forward to your personal contact if you require more information or wish to visit the school.
Your welcome at St Francis de Sales is genuine, warm and assured.
Listen to our brand new school school song being performed by the wonderful SFDS students on their school feast day.
Congratulations to Ms Mary Cameron, our year 3 teacher, who composed this song. A special mention is also due to Ms. Denise Kerr and Mr. Rod Davis for their partipation in teaching and delievering the song and for incorporting the haka.